The World of The Gunny

The Wasted World of Gunnery Sergeant DeShane
It is currently 16 Apr 2024 17:16

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New Deseret Discussion Thread
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2011 16:56 
Sergeant Major of the USMC

Production orders adjusted due to a GM mistake. New Player Sheet posted.

Cheers, Thor

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."
The Gunny: Stand of the 300

Si vis pacem, para bellum
If you want peace, prepare for war

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2011 17:32 

mavikfelna wrote:
Since my resource camps are immediately adjacent to my shelter, do I still list them separately?

Yes. Mainly to get you into the habit of listing the things that, in your case, are outside the Fallout Shelter, in case of raids or other bad things happening. :AH

Cheers, Thor

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2011 19:09 

mavikfelna wrote:
gotcha. :tu

I am "missing" on prerequisite tech, Screw Propellers are required for Marine Steam Engines but are not listed in my tech list. Do I have to research them are was it simply an oversight?

Do I need to build roads and steam tractors to haul things or am I close enough for it not to matter? To build steam tractors, what do I need, building and resource wise?

I will need to build transport for the boat yard as well and was going to build an iron strap railroad. What is the disadvantage of one vs a steel railroad?

It's a wrong link. Screw propellors should be for Marine Diesel engines, not the steam ones. I will fix it ASAP. Good catch! :tu

Right now with the snow, you can build sleighs and they can haul the gear. But once the snow melts, yes, you will need to cut roads through the forest to anywhere on the island. Oh, I thought I should mention, the pic with the entire island has a scale of 5 miles per inch. So it is still pretty large. That's why it is gonna take your scout 3 months to scout it all.

Speed of construction, cargo cap, maint costs, and chances of bad things happening. Iron Strap railroads had the nasty habit of the iron strap breaking free and curling up, ripping the wheels right off of the train cars. But they are good for getting things moving faster. Sometimes waiting for steel rails is not an option.

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2011 20:30 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Not only knocking off the wheels, but they'd rip and tear open rail cars as well.

Your island is massive, I wouldn't be surprised if there are at least 3 different communities living there.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2011 01:47 

Scragg wrote:
Not only knocking off the wheels, but they'd rip and tear open rail cars as well.

Correct, and very good Scragg. Not too many folks today knows what an Iron Strap Railroad is. :tu

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2011 02:23 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Þórgrímr wrote:
Scragg wrote:

Correct, and very good Scragg. Not too many folks today knows what an Iron Strap Railroad is. :tu

Cheers, Thor

I didn't recognize it by the name, but I do know what they are. I watched a segment of Wild West Tech on the History Channel about the railroads. Absolutely devastating, and you'd hate to be riding on iron strap railways if a strap curled up, ruin your day in a heartbeat since the train can't slow down enough in time.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2011 10:54 

Scragg wrote:
I didn't recognize it by the name, but I do know what they are. I watched a segment of Wild West Tech on the History Channel about the railroads. Absolutely devastating, and you'd hate to be riding on iron strap railways if a strap curled up, ruin your day in a heartbeat since the train can't slow down enough in time.

Yep, they were nasty customers. So if you wish to build an IS RR you best be sure that is what you want. :w

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2011 11:26 

Mav, in your current Census your employed men only adds up to 445 out of a possible 525. Did you wish these 80 men to just stand around? Or did you wish to employ them?

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2011 14:59 

mavikfelna wrote:
The 80 men are the remainder of the outside folks clearing land, looking for a boat building site and building the training grounds. It's 155 men outside, not 75.

I will update the census, though the 80 are not working in a camp, just going out during the day.

--Mav

If they are clearing land, or any other job, the GM will need to know about it. They were not listed on your census, so that's why I do not have them listed. :AH

Glad to see I hit the lake level correctly. Took me a LOT of cross referencing contour maps to get the height I was aiming for. BTW, did you read the blurb on Lake Bonneville I posted in the History thread? If so, any comment?

As for food, I figured you would go all out for fishing. Since, as you now know, farming is gonna be a bit hard to pull off. Small Gardens, and a few acres here and there will be about it. Unless you use terrace farming.

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2011 16:44 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Þórgrímr wrote:
Scragg wrote:

Yep, they were nasty customers. So if you wish to build an IS RR you best be sure that is what you want. :w

Cheers, Thor

Ugh... Engine destroyed, loss of personel, passengers, railcars, equipment and commodities lost that may not be recovered due to looting or from fires from the engine. Months of labor and materials down the drain. Inefficient inefficient inefficient inefficient!

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2011 19:24 

mavikfelna wrote:
Fishing is going to be tough because I don't have boats and I don't have a way to make nets. Once those two problems are dealt with, then we'll start fishing. :r Or at least large scale fishing. We could probably cobble together some fishing poles but it's an inefficient way to feed a whole population. I suspect I'll be stuck with terrace farming for a while. Though slash and burn style farming will work on that kind of ground it's horribly inefficient as well. :t

I did read your Lake Bonneville entry and I thought it was very good.

--Mav

Once you cut a path to the new shoreline you should have no probs setting up a boatworks. If you use terrace farming it will give me the incentive to do up the costs to convert terrain to terrace farms. I can say one thing though, it is gonna take a LOT of stone to hold a level field.

As for slash & burn, yep, but you living in a mountain area you have to be careful. Since slash and burn will remove a lot of what holds the soil in place. So floods and landslides become a danger. At least with terrace farming you will hold the soil in place.

@Scragg, yep, very innefficient, but sometimes speed is paramount.

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400