The World of The Gunny

The Wasted World of Gunnery Sergeant DeShane
It is currently 19 Mar 2024 03:53

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fallout 3
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2008 21:58 
Sergeant
Sergeant

I just picked up the special edition of this. I must say, it is the best RPG i have ever played. Graphics is schmick, the FPS works well. And the combat system... my god..... its the best combat system i have ever encountered.

The character creation is brilliant. Instead of the usual character creation screen, its all in-game as your character is growin up. blew my mind.

the combat... ooo the combat. Its very cinematic. its got the good old aimed shots and AP's from the original FO's, so you hit a button, game pauses, choose where you want to shoot, then when you accept it the game goes into slo-mo and it shows a little movie of the combat sequence. Of course, you can also use it as a normal FPS aswell. Its very well done.

The level system is the same as normal, but you get a perk every level. The quests are pretty good, and quite involved, and none of them are simple fetch-and-carry. Theres always several ways to do the same quest.

the pipboy keeps pretty good track of everything. Inventory, maps, quests, health. karma, skills. its all pretty good.

The feel of the game is very good, and they've kept to the atmosphere of FO, even with the dark humour. The gameplay is very intuitive, especially if you've played oblivion or morrowind.

Its not very stable on vista, though. I put that down to vista. no games are stable on vista.

Overall, this is a very good game. Bethesda had a big task to do this right, and they hit the nail on the head. I reckon that this is better than if interplay kept hold of it.

Wave your arms and shout."

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2008 12:15 
Corporal
Corporal

Despite the post office being open, they didn't sort my CE order into the box until the last minute I assume, it certainly wasn't there when I took off on a road trip. I get back expecting to find a key to a package box and instead have a card saying the package is too big and I have to pick it up tomorrow Sad

You can't delay FO3!!!

Besides that PIPboy bobble is going on my dash

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2008 12:33 
Sergeant Major of the USMC

Benno, give us a quick run down of some of the quests you liked the best. And do not spare the details! :bs

Or anybody for that matter who has played it.

Glad you are enjoying the game bud.

Cheers, Þórgrímr

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."
The Gunny: Stand of the 300

Si vis pacem, para bellum
If you want peace, prepare for war

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Nov 2008 05:17 
Corporal
Corporal

Þórgrímr wrote:
Benno, give us a quick run down of some of the quests you liked the best. And do not spare the details! :bs

Or anybody for that matter who has played it.

Glad you are enjoying the game bud.

Cheers, Þórgrímr

I'll probably have my impressions up Tuesday Morning after I get some time with it :D In the meantime... don't waste time Benno!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Nov 2008 19:25 

wolfblade wrote:
I'll probably have my impressions up Tuesday Morning after I get some time with it :D In the meantime... don't waste time Benno!

I look forward to your report. :bs

Cheers, Þórgrímr

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Nov 2008 03:55 
Corporal
Corporal

Gotta agree this one is fun. Ironically enough the only thing that feels Oblivion/Morrowind to me is the transitioning between indoors and outdoors. Otherwise it feels totally different. I've only explored a nearby school building/Raider base and I've started messing around in Megaton a bunch.

But its got the feel. The dark humor, that overly done propoganda (the BS from the Enclave station will drive a FO2 vet crazy, but the patriotic American music is just too damn eerie when you are out in the wastes, but you gotta play something or you'll listen to the wind blow all day), the gory combat, everything.

The creation of your character is a fun "interactive growing up" so thats very cool... This is one I need to savor a bit at a time, don't want to rush it...

So far Ron Perlman and Liam Neeson are the only Hollywood voices I can ID without looking at the credits.

Also the fact that drinking a Nuka-Cola bottle gives you a bottlecap for spending money is a great detail :D
Much more to be said but I'm still in an enthrallment stage.

Mine came with a nicely sized PIPBoy bobblehead which is getting velcro'd to my car dash and a dazzly tin lunch box thats pretty fun looking. Take that to work and show everyone who the uber geek is :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Nov 2008 15:03 

wolfblade wrote:
Gotta agree this one is fun. Ironically enough the only thing that feels Oblivion/Morrowind to me is the transitioning between indoors and outdoors. Otherwise it feels totally different. I've only explored a nearby school building/Raider base and I've started messing around in Megaton a bunch.

But its got the feel. The dark humor, that overly done propoganda (the BS from the Enclave station will drive a FO2 vet crazy, but the patriotic American music is just too damn eerie when you are out in the wastes, but you gotta play something or you'll listen to the wind blow all day), the gory combat, everything.

The creation of your character is a fun "interactive growing up" so thats very cool... This is one I need to savor a bit at a time, don't want to rush it...

So far Ron Perlman and Liam Neeson are the only Hollywood voices I can ID without looking at the credits.

Also the fact that drinking a Nuka-Cola bottle gives you a bottlecap for spending money is a great detail :D
Much more to be said but I'm still in an enthrallment stage.

Mine came with a nicely sized PIPBoy bobblehead which is getting velcro'd to my car dash and a dazzly tin lunch box thats pretty fun looking. Take that to work and show everyone who the uber geek is :D

I look forward to a more indepth report. :bs Why not take a pic of your bobblehead and post it in the pics thread.

Cheers, Þórgrímr

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2008 07:04 
Sergeant
Sergeant

yeah, that bobble haed is on my windowsill.

favourite quest so far.... the radiation study for the wasteland survival guide. laughed my tits off when it finished. starts off you have to get irradiated for a study this bird in megaton is doing. get either 200 or 600 rads. go the 600, and when you finish the quest you get a perk that regenerates crippled limbs when you have severe rad sckenss. Although, the ANTagonist and Mechanist are fun, especially if you have high speech and the ladykiller perk.

I'm playing through as a good guy at the moment. Always do the first time round. lvl 15, sml guns 100, lockpick 60, repair 60, speech 75, sneak 35. playing as a good guy/sneak/sniper. have ranger battle armour, torteshell glasses, sherrifs hat, wpns are sniper rifle and chinese assualt rifle. just got the lawbringer perk. will post proper stats when im not derunk.

the best thing i can find about this game is that ammo and stimpacks doesnt weigh anything. my st is only 6 so i cant carry two tenths of fuck all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2008 10:56 

Benno the Mad wrote:

favourite quest so far.... the radiation study for the wasteland survival guide. laughed my tits off when it finished. starts off you have to get irradiated for a study this bird in megaton is doing. get either 200 or 600 rads. go the 600, and when you finish the quest you get a perk that regenerates crippled limbs when you have severe rad sckenss. Although, the ANTagonist and Mechanist are fun, especially if you have high speech and the ladykiller perk.

I'm playing through as a good guy at the moment. Always do the first time round. lvl 15, sml guns 100, lockpick 60, repair 60, speech 75, sneak 35. playing as a good guy/sneak/sniper. have ranger battle armour, torteshell glasses, sherrifs hat, wpns are sniper rifle and chinese assualt rifle. just got the lawbringer perk. will post proper stats when im not derunk.

the best thing i can find about this game is that ammo and stimpacks doesnt weigh anything. my st is only 6 so i cant carry two tenths of fuck all.

Interesting quest. I look forward to your screenies and further reports. :bs

Cheers, Þórgrímr

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2008 21:04 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Glad to see I'm not the only FO veteran who enjoyed it! I agree with you guys, it's totally still Fallout. And Benno, I loved Moira, but keep in mind you get a pretty decent bonus if you convince her the survival guide is a waste of her time. She can repair your stuff a lot better, and you get the perk Dream Crusher, which halves the chances of your enemies to get you with a critical.

“For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'.”

"The only reason for being a professional writer is that you can't help it."

"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."

www.shallowbay.com Best. Band. Ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2008 02:50 
Sergeant
Sergeant

I finished the guide. you get some pretty good perks from it, and get to do a few cool things. you get a perk that gives extra to med and something else i cant remember, and a shit tin of xp.

I just killed my first enclave trooper. their armour looks awesome, but is useless against my bullets.

I get the feeling that this game would be a lot easier if you had a pretty good knowledge of Washington DC. I'm looking for the Pentagon (for the brotherhood of steel) and i have no fucking idea where it is. No idea even where to roam wildly, dropping muties from 600m.

one more thing... im getting the feeling that you get a little bit more xp for headshots if you dont use VATS. every time i snipe someone i think "thats a lot of xp for a *insert random enemy here*", but i've yet to test this theory properly. whenever i use VATS im usually too busy shooting shit to look at how much xp i get per kill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2008 04:05 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

I wouldn't know about the headshots thing, though you may be onto something. From the Jefferson Memorial, look due west across the river, and you should be able to make out the Pentagon. And though I've been to DC, I'm not positive how accurately everything's positioned. It was a few years ago that I went there, so I'm not positive about it, but I think they took artistic license to move recognizable structures into the gameplay area. You can find the Bethesda Offices around somewhere, but I'm not sure where.

“For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'.”

"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2008 11:41 

BOS13 wrote:
I wouldn't know about the headshots thing, though you may be onto something. From the Jefferson Memorial, look due west across the river, and you should be able to make out the Pentagon. And though I've been to DC, I'm not positive how accurately everything's positioned. It was a few years ago that I went there, so I'm not positive about it, but I think they took artistic license to move recognizable structures into the gameplay area. You can find the Bethesda Offices around somewhere, but I'm not sure where.

Yeah they did, but that is to be expected. IIRC, they have buildings above 5 floors, which is not allowed in our DC. But from the screenies I have seen, BOS gave the right place to look for it.

BOS, if you find the Museum of Science and Industry or the American Museum, let me know. Someone was telling me they were not threre.

Cheers, Þórgrímr

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2008 02:02 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

The Science Museum and American History Museum are in the Mall, not far from the Washington Monument or the Capitol building. The Ghoul city is under the History Museum. You can get a lot of neat stuff in both places.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2008 03:53 
Sergeant
Sergeant

...what did you do with harold?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2008 11:05 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

I grew him. You get Outcast Power Armor if you do that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2008 16:32 

BOS13 wrote:
The Science Museum and American History Museum are in the Mall, not far from the Washington Monument or the Capitol building. The Ghoul city is under the History Museum. You can get a lot of neat stuff in both places.

Kewl, its good to know they did not forget icons such as those. The dude musta not been to DC before. Since he swore they weren't there. :bs

Cheers, Þórgrímr

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2008 02:21 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Yeah, you go to the science museum for a quest from the DJ of Galaxy News Radio, and you can get a lot of cool Lincoln-related memorabilia from the History Museum, some of which goes to a quest for freed slaves at the Temple of the Union.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2008 04:58 
Sergeant
Sergeant

outcast PA. explain how. wait... no, dont.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2008 11:14 

Benno the Mad wrote:
outcast PA. explain how. wait... no, dont.

Lol, wanna find out how to yourself eh? :w :bs

Cheers, Þórgrímr

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2008 22:13 
Corporal
Corporal

Benno the Mad wrote:

Hmmm I had to make the game disengage the 20 level cap because I hit it and didn't think it was fair to not continue growing (it is a cheat to change the cap built into the game console without having to know more than what to type and it will eventually max you out in everything but I hate level Caps in RPGs) I haven't got that much into the main questline :D I have to go assist mein fajja in Rivet City but I've been so busy doing side things. I managed to follow Mister Crowley a bit before I got bored and killed him and then spent hours looking for Fort Constantine myself. Forgot wtf was even there now. Got the Explorer perk at like lvl 22 or so and it payed off. All the locations in the game are marked and all you gotta do is walk to them. I went to the National Guard Armory and managed to dig up an Experimental MIRV... Its a fat man that fires 8 bombs at once.... Wicked sweet :D

Otherwise I stick to using a Dartgun, Chinese Assault rifle, Laser Pistol, Laser Rifle, Combat SHottie, Sniper Rifle, and Scoped .44 Magnum and a Missile Launcher...

I reserve my Minigun and Experimental MIRV for special purposes (though I think the minigun is week its great for ghoulies :D)

Playing through as a goodie but screwed myself on the Tenpenny Towers quests... I kinda fullfilled Crowley's request before I talked to the ghouls and then talked to Tenpenny. So with no Tenpenny around... I don't think that me talking to the residents will enable the Ghouls to move in...

Btw the discovery I made about Nuka Cola Quantum is hilarious. They keep the humor of the other games alive and yes they totally do the retro 50's-future thing better then the old games, especially with the little 50's style (blown up) towns and all the atmosphere.

Now time to help dad out with Project Purity.... Speaking of which. I think you end up at the Citadel in your quest line anyways (someone told me its part of the main quest) I'm toting around this heavy ass Brotherhood Powered Armor and can't use it.... I stashed it at my home in Megaton for now.

This has been Three Dog.... AWOOOOO!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2008 23:51 

wolfblade wrote:
Btw the discovery I made about Nuka Cola Quantum is hilarious.

Hey Three Dog, whats this Nuka Cola Quantum thingie? Spill the beans bud. :bs

Cheers, Þórgrímr

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2008 02:34 
Corporal
Corporal

Þórgrímr wrote:
wolfblade wrote:
Btw the discovery I made about Nuka Cola Quantum is hilarious.

Hey Three Dog, whats this Nuka Cola Quantum thingie? Spill the beans bud. :bs

Cheers, Þórgrímr

Well in addition to having twice the sugar and fizz and like 10 fruit flavors put in it... it also has a radioactive isotope to make it glow... The only side effect one character in the game notes is your urine glows... (Though while in the plant you learn the secret of the various uranium and strontium tests that had *cough* varrying results and even the production variant had a few hiccups but was still approved for production...)

All I know is that its a beautiful day when you unleash 8 mini-nukes on your enemies :D

Some simple screens... I'm running highish... not the best... but damn good enough and its still smooth...

Capitol Wasteland looking towards D.C.

Inside the Lincoln Memorial after clearing it of Super Mutants and Slavers and moving free slaves into it, Looking out into the Mall and Washington Monument (The Mall Outpost for the BoS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2008 10:58 

wolfblade wrote:
Well in addition to having twice the sugar and fizz and like 10 fruit flavors put in it... it also has a radioactive isotope to make it glow... The only side effect one character in the game notes is your urine glows... (Though while in the plant you learn the secret of the various uranium and strontium tests that had *cough* varrying results and even the production variant had a few hiccups but was still approved for production...)

All I know is that its a beautiful day when you unleash 8 mini-nukes on your enemies :D

Some simple screens... I'm running highish... not the best... but damn good enough and its still smooth...

Capitol Wasteland looking towards D.C.

Inside the Lincoln Memorial after clearing it of Super Mutants and Slavers and moving free slaves into it, Looking out into the Mall and Washington Monument (The Mall Outpost for the BoS)

Yeah that would be hilarious. :bs

Nice screenies to, got anymore?

Cheers, Þórgrímr

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2008 09:04 
Sergeant
Sergeant

WOLFBLADE!!! EXPLAIN HOW TO REMOVE THIS FUCKING LEVEL CAP!!!!!!

uh... sorry. bit excited. I've finished the main quest, got bored, and started a new character. they shot at me for stealing empty soda bottles, of all the things i stole there, and seeing as i blew up megaton, that only left the wandering traders to sell shit too. No good. So, slack for making a new char, i've been exploring with my lvl 20 dude from an old save.

yeah... Nuka Cola Quantum! I'm not an addict! I can stop drinking Nuka whenver i want!

For PA, just do the main quest till you get to the citadel. It opens up another trader and gets you PA training.